The Kendall County Community Economic Development Plan was built over a year. The process involved two business round-tables, analyzing the county's strengths and weaknesses and creating a list of action items.
The plan itself is available on the county's website here and is attached to this article as a PDF, but here's a brief rundown on the six ways the plan proposes to improve Kendall County's economy. (If you want to read about them in more detail, they start on page 53 of the economic development plan.)
- Promote tourism and events through publicizing key facts about movies filmed in Kendall County (Superman, Road to Perdition and Eagle Eye), developing historical and recreational tours and encouraging strong downtown business districts.
- Improve existing technology and infrastructure by bolstering local access to utilities, upgrading Internet access capabilities, and promoting important road networks.
- Expand higher education facilities and campuses to provide more skills training and job placement services, as well as a satellite campus of a regional university.
- Strengthen relationships with other economic development corporations and local businesses through countywide job fairs and one-on-one meetings with local business owners and managers.
- Promote the county’s economic development efforts through a better website, through trade shows and through brochures and other countywide marketing materials.
- Target key industry clusters, such as logistics and distribution operations along the I-80 corridor, manufacturing, professional services, health care, green technology, data centers and agribusiness.
If you had to pick one, which is the most vital? Tell us in the comments, or through the poll below.
• Kendall County Working Through Economic Development Plan
• Five Fun Facts About Kendall County
• About 200 Attend Kendall Job Fair
• Transportation Key Issue at Kendall Economic Roundtable
• County Asks How to be More Business Friendly