The democratic candidate jailed two weeks ago for allegedly battering her 21-year-old daughter spoke of her love for the young woman in a statement released Thursday evening.
"I love my daughter and that will never change," candidate Natalie Manley said in the press release. "I look forward to the time when I can speak freely about the issues I am facing and appreciate the outpouring of support from so many people."
Police said Manley “punched" her daughter, and also "kicked, knocked her to the ground, struck her in the face (and) hit her with a set of keys.”
Manley's camp issued a statement after the incident that said the arrest was sparked by a dispute between Manley and her daughter, who arrived to the apartment "after curfew and intoxicated." The statement went on to say an argument over the 21-year-old's behavior ensued.
The adult daughter lived with Manley at the time of the incident.
A special prosecutor has been assigned to Manley's case. She is scheduled to return to court June 4.
“As a single-parent I can tell you it has not always been easy but every family has its share of struggles," Manley said in the statement. "Family issues do not alter or change the bonds between parent and child."
Manley, who ran uncontested in the March 20 primary, is set to face Republican challenger Bob Kalnicky in the November election. Under new legislative maps approved last year, the 98th House District includes portions of Bolingbrook, Romeoville, Plainfield and Crest Hill.
The Thursday evening press release also "announced the launch of her new campaign website, NatalieManley98.com, which will go live" Friday morning.
"The launch of the new site will contain future event information, pictures and comments from previous events, information on how to support Natalie, and all social media links," the release said.