Patch readers in Channahon and Minooka have been concerned about the impact that the local coyotes might have on their small pets. Residents in Minooka especially have reported their small pets being taken by the wildlife.
We put together a map for you to see where residents have reported seeing coyotes. If you live in Grundy County, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Grundy County Board members once again approved a $15 bounty for the ears of a coyote someone brings in that was killed in Grundy County. For those of you in Will County, the Channahon Police offer the following tips to keep coyotes out of your yard.
- Don’t feed any wild animals such as raccoons or deer, which encourages coyotes as well.
- Keep cats indoors at all times, if possible.
- Keep your dog on a leash.
- Don’t leave cat or dog food outside for extended periods of time.
- Secure garbage in areas where coyotes can’t access it; keep yards clean of refuse and brush.
- Do not let pets out at night unless accompanied by a person.
Police also advise that if you do encounter a coyote, a loud noise is usually enough to scare them away.
Get news where you live. Sign up for the Channahon-Minooka newsletter.