Despite rumors to the contrary, there was no shooting at Provena Saint Joseph Medical Center Friday night.
"At this point what I can tell you is there was no shooting in the (emergency department)," Jan Ciccarelli, director of marketing and public relations at the hospital said. "There was a young man brought in, a young gunshot victim."
Joliet Police had earlier reported that they were called to a shooting in the 300 block of Ottawa Street in Joliet around 5 p.m. Friday night. The gunshot victim was taken to Provena Saint Joseph Medical Center.
Ciccarelli said the man was in critical condition Friday night.
"It's one young man who accidentally shot himself, as far as we know," she said.
Joliet Police Lt. Robert Desiderio said neither the age nor the hometown of the gunshot victim was available Friday night.
Ciccarelli also said that the hospital was not on lockdown, as some additional rumors had indicated.
Joliet Police are still investigating the incident.